Quality of Life
Iron County offers your business and your family a unique relocation or expansion opportunity — a quality of life among the best in the country.
Iron County is “just north enough” to escape the crowds. Yet we are close enough to offer exceptional four-season recreation fun plus exciting business and living opportunities.
Here you’ll find a variety of natural surroundings that other areas can only envy. Fifteen pristine waterfalls cascade through our forests. The rugged Penokee Range rises teton-like over historic iron mining communities.
Blue gems of 214 peaceful lakes, the wild shores of the Turtle-Flambeau and Gile Flowages, are home to majestic loons and bald eagles. Lake Superior, the world’s mightiest freshwater lake, laps our northern shores.
A Cost of Living you can LIVE with.
The cost of living is substantially lower here than the national average and much lower than most large metropolitan areas.
- State Sales Tax 5%
- County Sales Tax 0.5%
- Personal Income Tax 4.90% to 6.93%
A high value is placed on education.
- The two school districts of Iron County, Hurley and Mercer, offer modern schools that are responsive to the student’s needs.
- A small teacher/student ration provides ample opportunity for individualized” attention and quality learning.
- Hurley School technologically advanced including smart boards
- Drop-out rates are among the lowest in Wisconsin.
- Gogebic Community College, enrollment 1500, in neighboring Ironwood, Michigan offers two-year associate degrees in pre-professional transfer programs as well as technical career programs. The college offers one of only two Ski Area Management programs in the nation and has a full-service ski hill right on campus!
Vocational, Technical & Adult Education
- Nicolet Technical College, Rhinelander.
- Wisconsin Indianhead Technical College, Ashland
- Northland College, Ashland: a 4-year baccalaureate degree college; internationally known for its outstanding environmental degree programs.
The University of Wisconsin-Superior: less than 2 hours away; offers bachelor’s and master’s degree programs in a variety of majors.
Modern health care facilities and medical professionals are readily available in the Greater Iron County area.
- Grand View Hospital: A 72 bed, full-service acute care hospital in Ironwood, linked with regional medical centers by medical helicopter service.
- Iron County Clinic, Hurley
- Mercer Clinic, an affiliate of the Marshfield Clinic, Mercer
- Family Practice Clinic, Ironwood
- Two nursing home centers with 100 bed capacity offer full service and in-home car
- The area offers a full complement of medical services including 7 dental practices, 2 optometrists, and 4 chiropractic clinics
Crime Rate… Among the lowest in Wisconsin
Serious Crimes per 1000 Population
- Iron County – 26.4
- Wisconsin – 43.8
No Culture “Up North”?
The Greater Iron County Area boasts the greatest concentration of fine arts and cultural events of any northern Wisconsin community—to participate in or to just enjoy.
- Historic Ironwood Theater: a “Lively Arts” series of symphony, drama and ballet performances. Gogebic Range Players: an 80 member community theater group; 2 major musicals, other plays performed at the Ironwood Theater yearly.
- Theater North: a 100 member community theater group; a major musical and children’s theater yearly on the Theater North Stage.
- Cloverland Cinemas, Ironwood
- Iron County Historical Society – Old Iron County Courthouse, Hurley
- Mercer Area Historic Society – Old Depot, Mercer
- Ironwood Historical Society – Old Depot, Ironwood
- Hurley City Library, Hurley
- Mercer Town Library, Mercer
- Carnegie Library, Ironwood
- Gogebic Community College Library, Ironwood